The startup ecosystem in Bangalore (Bengaluru) – by some accounts the “Silicon Valley” of the east – is vibrant and has been nurturing tech startups that aspire to go global. The startups and the tech ecosystem continues to receive a lot of media attention. I had an opportunity to join the tour of the startup accelerators in Bangalore during the recently conducted “Pravasi Bharatiya Divas 2017.”
The tour started with a visit to IAMAI Mobile 10X Accelerator and NASSCOM 10K Startup Warehouse, and included a session of “Startup Pitches” by selected entrepreneurs at the incubators. The tour delegates were attendees of PBD2017, self-included, who stayed back after the main event. Among the dozen or so attendees were Desis – NRIs and PIOs – from literally across the globe, including Nigeria, Singapore, Azerbaijan, Russia, France, Canada, and the US.
During the long bus ride from Bangalore International Exhibition Centre (BIEC) to Diamond District in Domlur, Satyanarayana, the event coordinator – and consultant to the government of Karnataka – kept us engaged with an overview of the Startup Cell and some of the benefits the state government is offering startups and investors.
- The Government of Karnataka is the first state in India to establish a dedicated Startup Cell, called “Startup Karnataka.” The Startup Cell aims to be the “one-stop-shop” for information on regulatory environment, incentives etc.
- It has partnered with NASSCOM to offer Startup warehouse with a subsidized co-working space of 30,000 sqft facility. The facility aims to nurture a robust ecosystem to support the early stage companies by getting angel investors, VCs, and enterprises to play a more active role in Bengaluru and getting more start – ups to succeed
- The facility has expanded with Center of Excellence for innovation and entrepreneurship, including an Hackcelerator, a Center of Excellence for Design- an integrated design work space and a Wearables Lab. About 150 of the 300 seats have already been filled up, and startups are benefitting from the highly energized ecosystem besides the subsidized seat rentals of INR 3500 per month
Satyanarayana peppered his narrative with anecdotes and observations about the changing ecosystem in Bengaluru. Asked about his favorite startup pitch, he offered a diplomatic response “It is like working at a Chocolate factory, where one stops thinking of chocolates as a delicacy,” but a product that has to go through its life-cycle before it can be consumed. An apt response if there was one!
The IAMAI Mobile 10X Accelerator and NASSCOM 10K Startup Warehouse are located in the same building. The Facilities at the incubator include an IOT Lab, Device Lab (where developers can test their Apps on a wide variety of mobile devices), Event Space, H-accelerator Space, Conference Rooms and Pantry.
The tour included “Startup pitches” by founders and entrepreneurs at the incubators. These entrepreneurs, with a few exceptions, all in their twenties, demonstrated self-assurance and innate belief in their ideas. Their sense of pride in nurturing their creation was evident in the confidence with which they took delegate questions; perhaps a sign of preparedness for a “shark tank” like grilling by investors and venture capitalists to follow.
Startups working on a wide range of ideas and technologies that pitched their ideas to delegates:
|Fastah is developing tools and API for a joyful mobile internet. The first product, Fastah App, is a smartphone data manager that helps people manage their mobile data in a more personalized way, saving them money and given them control over their apps and activities.|
|Zoyo – provides smart parking solutions to end parking woes|
|Adcamie is a SaaS product designed to help you simplify and streamline all your media buys on one convenient platform.|
iCommute – In a disorganized city commute, iCommute provides real-time transit information by parterning with transit agencies and crowdsourcing techniques
|Townista – offers a large selection of short trips, accommodation and packaged tours.|
|Perkli is a mobile based customer acquisition and retention platform for local stores|
|Chikitsak Life Sciences – is an effective health channel that includes preventive and curative care powered by smart technology delivered through our feet-on-street health workers at your doorstep.|
|NayaGaadi is a launch pad for all the innovators solving mobility and transportation solutions. India’s first online marketplace for brand new vehicles.|
|myofficecab is an eco-transportation company which focuses on providing end to end employee transportation solutions to corporates.|
|UrbanTrippie creates personalised hangout plans and itineraries based on your preferences and whatever you are in the mood for!|
|VoyageUp is a people and content discover app with a primary focus on letting you discover and meet people nearby – people on the same WiFi|
|highwaydelite is inspired by the thought of making your highway journey more delightful by providing verified information of required services on highways on real time location basis, in unbiased and complete form.|
Links and references:
- Mobile 10X by Internet and Mobile Association of India – India today has over 350 million internet users, 250 million mobile internet users of which 160 million are connected smartphone users. Research indicates that number of internet users would increase to 500 million by 2017, and 700 million by 2020. Mobile10X facilitates app developers to flourish in this eco-system.
- NASSCOM’s 10,000 Startups – “10,000 Startups” (or 10K) is a vision, which is committed to incubate, fund and provide ambient support to impact 10,000 technology startups in India, by 2023. The aim is to nurture the hatchling startups into full-fledged technology stalwart companies, by giving them support via access to startup incubators, accelerators, angel investors, venture capitalists, startup support groups, mentors, and technology corporations. NASSCOM – The National Association of Software and Services Companies is a trade association of Indian Information Technology and Business Process Outsourcing industry.
- Startup Karnataka by Government of Karnataka – Startup Cell aims to be the “one-stop-shop” for information on regulatory environment, incentives etc.
|Compiled and Edited by: Mohan K || Reproduction with permission only |